Sunday 7 February 2010

A Cyclist In France: Hills, Climbing And French Humour

You may remember that a fortnight ago, we announced that we'd be following a Cat 2 cyclist in France called Andy Phillips.

Well after introducing us to himself in his first post, Andy gives us a insight into his early cycling days and about the lessons he thinks he'll learn going into the start of his season starting on March 13th.

Andrew: When I started training in 2008 I hated hills! I weighed about 85 kilos and I remember the first time I was introduced to the hills of the Charente in the south west of France. God did I struggle. I was taken to a place called Nanteuil-en-Vallee and the hill my cycling friends made me climb was long and steep. I got up it though about 5mins after everyone else, which obviously made them laugh! I hated the hill, and although I rode up it a few times that year I tried to avoid it at all costs.

As I lost weight my climbing capabilities increased and I also learnt that you could pull up on your pedals. Now that sounds stupid to most of you I am sure but I had never ridden a bike with shoes that clipped into the pedals before. So when you are out of the saddle dancing up the hills pulling up on the pedals it's easy. Two weeks ago we went back to that hill in Nanteuil and I was first up racing to the top with a 1st cat rider from the club. That was a great moment for me and proved that through a little weight loss, i have really improved my climbing skills.

There was a funny incident earlier on which i've just remembered whilst speaking about hills.A couple of months ago i was climbing up a hill not too far from where i live with my cycling friends. As i was passing a young looking cyclist i heard him shout something that sounded like 'Grandad Grandpa'. I couldn't work out why he would be calling me this, considering i was going up the hill quicker than him. going up this hill quicker than him.

10 seconds later and he's at it again 'Tu est un Grand Pere' it sounds like, which means 'you are a great father'. That may well be the case as i'm a family man, but i just dont understand the French sense of humour! When we got to the top of the hill, this guy caught me up he said 'Tu est un grimpeur.' Ah I get it he reckons I am a climber! Interesting when I first started riding with him he said I was a rouleur (a good all rounder) and then when I got a bit fitter he said I was a sprinter and now he says I am a climber. Really I don't know what I am? What i do know is that the more i train and prepare myself the better i can become.

In terms of spritning, it's something i can do but i don't think that I am an out and out sprinter as I don't particularly enjoy the bunch sprints. However, I did get one of my second places last year in a bunch sprint, which came as a nice suprise. I have got a lot to learn with sprinting and the positioning on the road and when to go and when to wait etc. I wish I had started riding years ago as some of the guys have years of experience and know all the tricks including some rather underhand ones!

So the season is fast approaching. The training is going ok or at least I think it is. I am new to this and I dont know if I am traning too much or not enough.What should I be doing at this time of year? I don't ride as much with the club as I did last year as I prefer to do my own thing . They are also a bunch of nutters and it usually ends up going mad and ending up as a race and I find it hard to control myself and and up joining in!

I am the same in a race - I just waste too much energy riding at the front. If I am not attacking (usually too soon), I am chasing down others who attack. I have got to learn to let others do it. I would say that I am an attacking allrounder. However, this year I have got to use my head more and try and control myself.

As ever if you want to keep in touch with me over the season, remember you can do so via becoming a fan of ‘The English Cyclist In France’ on facebook or just join the facebook group ‘Help me Win in France’. I can also be found on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/cyclistinfrance where i will try and reply to any comments during free time i get from pratice and my work. Lastly you can also follow me right here on SportTrades Report. I will get back to you guys in a fortnight or so where my training would have really picked up.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up Andy - both the training & the updates. Look forward to reading the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear it. I too struggle with the hills but as I get lighter it gets easier. It's reassuring to hope I'll be climbing them one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good blog Andy, very interesting. Looking forward to your next one - I might even get my own bike out, although I'm behind where you were when you started out.

    ReplyDelete