Monday 1 March 2010

A Cyclist In France: Training To Win!

You may remember in January, we announced that we'd be following a Cat 2 cyclist in France called Andy Phillips. Well after his first two posts which are worth reading, Andy's back with his third.

With less than two weeks to go until the start of his season, which starts on March 13th, Andy tells us more about his training and how he's desperate to win a race this season. Over to you Mr Phillips.

Andrew: Well our season is fast approaching. Our neighbouring club based in Civray is supposed to be having its test ride this weekend. This is the first major test to see how fit you are for the season, so it's abit of a nervy time even if everyone is in shape.

Unfortunately the weather has been downright dreadful recently with have 110 km hour winds in the country, so we've put that test off for a couple of days. Our club EC Taize Aizie will be having its test ride next weekend on the 7th March. The ride
is basically 100 kms. It is open to all the local clubs and is a race in all
but name.

Last year, when I was building up to my first season I was blown away in the Civray ride. I did a little better in our club's ride. This year I am a lot stronger and I hope to come in ahead of all the cat 2 riders in our club. It's a tall order maybe but it will be interesting to see how fit I am compared with everyone else.

Certainly training has been difficult with the terrible weather we have had. I should be at an advantage as, in that not having a lot of work on at the moment as meant that i've been able to train more. I feel I'm in the best shape possible and that this will help do well in the ride, at worst i'd like to finish second out of the cat 2 riders in our club!

Training overall has been 'ok' this year, with a few hit and misses along the way. It hasn't been as structured as last year, but thats because I've been training on my own and we've moved house which brings added stress as well. But we're settled in now and i'm more focused than ever.

The early races will all be part of the training to peak for May. I have started some intensity with repetitions on hills. I slowly increase the time spent climbing and then reduce it quickly to build it up again. Once the season starts I will be racing on Sundays. I will aim to train a minimum of 3 days per week - to include one lengthy ride, one session on hills and a sprint session. All that and a fiancee, life couldn't get any better could it?

One of the strangest things that the season throws up are the prizes on offer. For example I won an adult entry to the Valley of the Monkeys last year. It's a great day out for families if you're ever near Romagne and is a primate wildlife park. Kids will love it, the marmosets are particulary memorable. Here's the website for the Valley: http://www.larosevacances.com/activities.htm.

I also won a suitcase for coming second once, which to be honest with you felt like taking the mickey. This was due to the fact the bloke who came third won a case of wine, which between me and you probably cost more than the suitcase! As you'd expect when racing near Cognac, the prizes are of an alcoholic nature and are worth celebrating about.

However winning prizes is not what encouraged me to take up cycling, it was the passion of the sport and the determination involved. That being said i know when i win a race (which will hopefully be this season, please god) that i'll be delighted and will want to keep that winning feeling going.

Thanks to those who have commented on my 2 posts so far. Would be nice if you could leave your names, instead of writing in 'Anonymous'. After letting you guys know of some wierd prizes that I've won, what are the strangest prizes you've won. Doubt anyone can outmatch my prize to a Monkey Wildlife Park!

Well that is enough from me for now. Remember you can follow me on facebook by becoming a fan of ‘The English Cyclist In France’ or just join the facebook group ‘Help me Win in France’. I can also be found on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/cyclistinfrance, where you're more than welcome to chat to me.

8 comments:

  1. Good read again. I'm starting racing this season so will be interested to see how your 2nd season develops. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. andys no 1 fan2 March 2010 at 07:49

    Good luck for the season. cant wait for next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck for the new season and maybe a pair of suitcases could be on the mantle piece (obviously they'd have to be very small ones!!!!)
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to all participants in 2nd season. This gonna be a tough for newbie coz lots of prof are aiming for win this season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thegrumpyoldman3 March 2010 at 21:30

    All the best for the season. Not a funny prize, but a while ago I won Totnes-Vire 2 day stage race and the prize money didn't cover the petrol home. I was gutted at the time, but the winners jersey I took home still brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a guy who won 6 primes in one race in belgium last year and got 6 sets of curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I just read a tweet that said you came in ahead of all the cat2s in your club?
    Well done Andrew we are impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an inspirational story. good luck andrew

    ReplyDelete