Monday 12 April 2010

Sol y Futbol: A Postcard from Arrecife

As regular visitors to SportTrades Report should know by now, we follow UD Lanzarote who play in the third tier of Spanish Football. Recently SportTrades director Rob McAvoy travelled to Arrecife where he met up with Ian Lane whose reports we feature on this site. Here Rob writes about his experience seeing the Rojillos on a match day, where they played host to Puertolllano at the Ciudad Deportiva stadium.

Rob: I find that no matter what level of football I am about to go and watch, the anticipation and excitement is the same. I had thought it was the train spotter side of me, but to meet so many like minded people was a type of therapy. Going to matches at UD Lanzarote (The Rojillos) this season is a little bit like watching Newcastle United last, you know the ability is there but the games are running out and lady luck is hiding. Unlike, however, the last game at Villa last season the passion is evident to escape the grasp of relegation.

In the centre of Lanzarote is one of many monuments created by the hugely influential and iconic artist Cesar Manrique. It is entitled Monumento al Campesino (The Field Worker), these sporting versions of ‘field workers’ are busting a gut to keep the pride of Lanzarote in the third tier of Spanish football.

Playa Blanca was a little hazy when I left, but the Sun was beginning to win the fight. I had a long drive ahead to Arrecife to watch my first European match, on behalf of SportTrades Report. OK, it was only about 25 miles, but I thought I needed to make you feel, poor bloke putting himself out like that for us – didn’t work did it. I was all too aware of the difficulties UD Lanzarote were going through this season, from reports and chatting to Ian Lane on a regular basis. I felt confident that they would win today.

The thoughts of the match temporarily were put to one side, as I left Playa Blanca and travelled on the edges of the lava field that had scarred the landscape, but left it with a breathtaking beauty. Then in seconds I was passing by Yaiza and Uga with their share of trees nicely setting a stunning contrast. We passed through the valley and soon the Grand Hotel in Arrecife was in view, the tallest building in Lanzarote, at a whopping 17 stories. This was my marker to find the ground; if I got to the Hotels front door I had missed the turning. I had spoken to Ian a few days earlier for directions, had written them down in some form of hieroglyphics, thinking I would understand, but of course. My memory of the conversation and the fact that the previous day I had got lost and stumbled upon the stadium, made the ground easy to find.

I first met Ian Lane a few years ago. I was walking through Teguise Market and found the stall he and Anna have there. He persuaded me that I must have this ‘T’ Shirt and later sold me Double Glazing and a subscription to Readers Digest (I have obviously made the last two up). He is fluent in many languages to the buying patterns of individual nationalities, even if they aren’t aware of it yet. The previous week I had visited him at the market just to catch up and finalise details for the game the following weekend. I helped scare off a potential client, for being the gauge for the XXL size of apparel or DPL as it is now known (Dart Player Large). He works like a Trojan for the club selling merchandise at markets and match days, providing the club with ideas and promoting coming matches in resorts. The fantastic mascot has been bought by the Lane family, even with opposition from the powers that be at the club. The Mascot is a massive hit with the kids, with balancing acts on hurdles that surround the pitch and forward roles that knock security staff off their feet. Committee permitting, Ian has some great schemes in mind for next season. The aim, to improve the match day experience and to bolster the crowd with holiday makers from Europe.

The next stage of my day was to locate my host. He had kindly arranged a press pass for me; I had to ask for this Lady, who I am still looking for. Finding him was not as problematic as first thought. My initial attempts to find Mr Lane failed due my lack of Spanish other than a few greetings and ‘how do I get to the Civil Guard?’ The embarrassing apologies from the locals for their lack of English shamed me. I have a New Year resolution, 4 months late but – well – better than never, to learn Spanish. Thankfully a Gentleman who turned out to be the Radio Commentator pointed me in the right direction. Once located, I was informed that Barnsley Robbo was not even in the squad. Later, Robbo was seen being consoled, but he was obviously not happy at being left out of the proceedings. At UD Lanzarote the time for the crowd to enter the stadium is two minutes before kick off, so up until then holiday makers and ex-pats mill around chatting and enjoying the hospitality and sunshine. Also enjoying the hospitality was Brian Bannister a retired policeman and a follower of Gretna. He had followed Gretna in there recent adventure in Scottish Football culminating in the SPL. Brian arrived resplendent in his, now defunct, team shirt a sure future collector’s item and Walnut Whips.

We had a lady from Dublin who followed Fulham and escaped most the winter in Lanzarote and a Guy from Cardiff who followed the Bluebirds. The sun shone, the atmosphere built and kick-off fast approached. My first experience of European Domestic football was living up to all my hopes. Real football, real people, a million miles away from the stars of La Liga and the Premier League.

The Rojillos had the advantage of play, but you couldn’t help but have the feeling that Puertolllano would hurt Lanzarote on the counter attack. Lanzarote kept knocking at the door but no breakthrough. A moment of uncertainty saw the Lanzarote ‘Keeper left exposed only option to bring down the Puertollano attacker for a penalty which was converted to send Lanzarote in at half time 1 down. This was the first decision of an inept display from the referee. If indeed it was a penalty, the Goalie should have seen a Red Card, but amazingly a yellow was only issued. The second mistake was just unbelievable. The second half saw lanzarote increase the pressure but with no reward. Then with almost the last move of the game, a Lanzarote forward was hacked down in the area, thankfully all limbs remained attached (yes it was that blatant), but all appeals were ignored.

Lanzarote lost the game, but the excitement didn’t end there. Both sets of players discussed the game in an over zealous way heading towards the changing room. The Guards, who up until that point had been enjoying a coffee, separated them. They allowed the visitors to proceed to the dressing room, leaving UD Lanzarote to calm down in the warmth of the day. Then supporters, who seem to question the commitment of the team, reignited the player’s mood of injustice and handbags. The Guards remained with their cappuccino and the players returned to their dressing rooms.

My day in Arrecife with UD Lanzarote was over; I can’t wait until the next time. Apart from the result it was very enjoyable. I recommend that you check the website for fixtures if you are in Lanzarote over the next few weeks or when you visit Teguise market head towards the UD Lanzarote stall in the main square, support the Rojillos by buying merchandise. If you go armed with a Walnut Whip you may even get a discount. I would like to thank Ian for organising a wonderful day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment