Monday 18 October 2010

A Cylist In France: A Season Review

It's been a while but here's our latest update from our cyclist in France.

Andy Phillips's blog posts have been a popular addition to our blog and will continue to do so on SportTrades Pulse.

For those of you who are new to Andy and our blog, Mr Phillips is a Cat 2 cyclist whose progress we have followed throughout his season.

Here's his final post of the season. Before you read it, I'd like to say thanks to Andy for his blogs so far which have been a great addition to SportTrades: Pulse.

As a cycling fan myself, it's been great to read what it's like to be a cyclist and I'm already looking forward to next season when Andy starts writing up again. Anyway less of the introduction, I'll hand over to Mr Phillips and let him do the talking as he looks back overall at his season.

Andrew:Well I did not win my weight in apples. In fact I did not win very much over the season. My goals were to win a race, to get on the podium at the Departmental Championships and to go up to category 1.

I did not achieve any of these. Perhaps my goals were too vague, perhaps my training was not adequate enough or perhaps racing in only my second year in category 2 was just a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

I am not sure. I think I am a strong rider but it isn't always the strongest that wins. I have found it hard this year as I still do not know many of the riders in cat 2. I don't know who to watch out for !! Also tactically I still make lots of mistakes. I am sure I can win a race but I need to learn how to if that makes any sense.

The season started good and proper on 28th March. I rode well in the first few races finishing just outside the top 10. Some mistakes along the way but some strong rides especially at Montamise where the peloton split into two and I managed to chase and catch up with the leading group on my own. Was very happy with that and it was cramp on the final lap which ruined my chances of a top 10.

The 24th of April saw my first Podium. 5th at La Rousselière. I was very pleased with this as in this particular race the 1st and 2nd cats went off together, the 1st cats having to do one more lap than us. The pace was very fast and set by the the 1st cats.

I spent most of the race towards the back of the peloton more or less hanging on. On the last lap it was all still together and I got myself to the front. I came round the final bend in 3rd position and was up there with the big boys. Yep I can do this!

It really is a bone of contention with me though that quite often the 1st and 2nd cats go off together. It just ruins the races.

Sometimes 1st cats will breakaway and by luck they can take some 2nd cats, who have been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, with them and then it's race over. They clear up on the Primes and we might be racing for 5th place. It's not fair.

The Departmental Championship was a bit of a disaster. In this race we are just up against people in our age group. Unfortunately I skidded on some oil and crashed.

After April on most occasions I have been there or there abouts.

I have had eight top 10 finishes and two 4ths. In fact there is some footage of me on youtube finishing 6th at La Chapelle Baton. Here's one of the vid's of me taken on the stage. Please excuse the language, lol.



I have had some bad luck along the way, a couple of mechanicals and another accident at St Fraigne. This was really frustrating as i managed to chase down a 5 man break.

The race was there for the taking but unfortunately one of the guys cut across me going up a hill and it took me and one of my team mates out. I was very cheesed off but that is cycling and it happens even to the best sometimes.

So no wins and certainly not enough points to go up to category one, which is slightly annoying but that’s cycling I guess.

St Fraigne was a great race as we road passed our friends Bed and Breakfast called Le Moulin de Merlageau. I can't forget to mention Babs and Lorna here as every lap they were out there cheering me on.

The two of them were waving feather dusters and holding up banners! They even had a Karaoke machine rigged up in the garden to sing a few songs and to make sure I could hear them! What a laugh and when I crashed they were there to do the First Aid. Certainly something I won't forget in a hurry.

The last race of the season took me to a place called Secondigny on 10th October. Every year there is a cycle race which coincides with the annual Fete De Pommes.

The atmosphere was fantastic. Lots of people watching the race, a brass band which played tunes for us when we set off, a fun fair and displays of various scenes all made out of apples.

The race was very fast with the 1st and seconds going of together. It was hilly and hard. I enjoyed it and again finished in the top 10. Yes it's true the winner wins his weight in apples. The winner just happened to be the guy who took me out at St Fraigne. So Pommes to you mate!

Well that's it from me this season. I have enjoyed writing on this blog right throughout my season.

It's been great to see the response of you guys reading my blogs and I thank you for your support, as your support does mean alot to me out here in France.

Remember you can follow me on facebook by becoming a fan of ‘The English Cyclist In France’’. I can also be found on Twitter @cyclistinfrance, where you're more than welcome to chat to me about my cycling and anything else really.

Au Revoir For Now!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just read your blog for the season,Well done!
    It was sad the only race we managed to get to France to see was the one where you crashed.
    Better luck next year,and we will come over to cheer you on at least once x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good read. Lots of top 10s . You have done well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that's a good result for your 1st season as a 2nd cat. Next season can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Andy - great stuff and good luck for next season

    ReplyDelete