Sunday 17 July 2011

Mitchell on revenge mission: Dagenham lightweight keen to avenge Katsidis defeat

We would like to thank our friends at SkySports News for supplying the report and photo. We hope to get some exclusive comment from Kevin regarding future fights.


Kevin Mitchell is targeting a long-awaited rematch with Michael Katsidis following his thrilling domestic triumph over John Murray at Liverpool's Echo Arena on Saturday night.

The Dagenham lightweight stopped the previously unbeaten Mancunian in the eighth round to breathe new life into a career which stalled following his failed world title challenge against Katsidis at Upton Park last May.

Mitchell's duel with Murray was his first fight since that defeat and he still feels he has a score to settle with the Australian, who went on to lose his next two fights, before focusing on a world title again.

"My dream is back on track," said Mitchell. "The dream I've always had since I was a kid is back on track so I'm happy.

"I want the rematch with Katsidis. I want closure. I'd definitely want to go back to Upton Park for it, they are waiting for me there."

Recovery

Problems outside the ring affected the 26-year-old's training for that interim WBO title tilt and the fall-out saw him spend the following two months on "a proper bender".

However, an intervention by his estranged parents and the support of his local community turned Mitchell's life around.

"The stresses I was going through and the strain of life was leading me into the pub every night," he revealed.

"I was in the pub from Monday to Sunday, Monday to Sunday. I've not been in the pub now for over a year.

"My local pub is the Cross Keys, it's a Dagenham boozer where all my pals drink, we've all grown up together, everyone's in this pub. I've not been in there for a whole year and every one of them turned up tonight.

"They are happy that I've kept out the boozer.

"I'm living with my mum and she's been driving me bonkers. But I sleep, rest, I see my kids Monday, Tuesday and Friday overnight. That's what makes me happy, my two boys. When you're happy you train happily.

"My mum and dad haven't been together since I was four and for them to come into the pub together, when I was slouched in the boozer...they dragged me out of there where all my pals were and they took me home and said 'what are you playing at? Sort your life out'.

"I was on a proper bender after the Katsidis fight. So then I was effectively barred and also I didn't want my mum and dad coming into the pub and embarrassing me again!"

Respect

Relations between Mitchell and Murray were cool rather than cordial in the build-up as both men remained poker-faced but the former had nothing but praise for a friend he holds in high regard.

He said: "John Murray's a brilliant fighter, unbelievable - what a brilliant fella. He could have taken a world title fight but he took me on.

"I'll win the world title and give John his world title shot."



No comments:

Post a Comment