Monday 25 January 2010

Bill McLaren

Yesterday saw the funeral of Bill McLaren - the voice of Rugby. I never had the honour of meeting the great man, but in the the days since his death have read about his life. Some stories I knew, some brought back memories and some I was reading for the first time. The era of commentators whose voices became synonymous with the sports they covered. The love of language that made the analysis entertaining and intelligent, that become part of sporting folklore and everyday sayings that even transcended sports. I enjoyed, like millions, his commentary of matches, they are very much a memory of my youth and bring back many happy images. His sayings were included in many team talks for the School Rugby team, as I'm sure they were for thousands of clubs up and down the country. There is something special that he was also such a generous, kind and warm human being as well as an Icon - they don't always go hand in hand. So, I will not be the first to use this line, they will be dancing in the streets of Hawick, in memory and celebration of Bill McLarens life. Bill McLAREN - Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment