Saturday 1 May 2010

A Cyclist In France: One Mistake Is Too Many

Regular visitors of SportTrades Report would know by now that we're following a Cat 2cyclist in France called Andy Phillips. Here's Andy's fifth post which tells us how he's had a mixed start to his season so far.

Andrew: Well it's the end of April and I have 5 races under my belt so far. Boy have I made mistakes. In a race one mistake can be too many. The trouble is I quite often make quite a few.

The 1st race was at a place called Maine De Boixe. This is quite a tough one as there is a tough climb and this year we had very strong winds. In fact we had very strong north easterly wind for weeks.I cant say I had a chance to do anything wrong in this race as the hill and the strong winds played havoc on the peleton and it split into 3 on the second lap.I found myself in the 3rd and largest group.

The stronger riders in this group soon broke away and we chased hard until the end of the race. The end result was a respectable 14th. I was very pleased with this as we worked extremely hard to catch up with the guys in front. In addition last year, my first season when I started as a 3rd cat, I was dropped on the 3 lap in and road this race on my own.

My second race was near Poitier in the Vienne. Mistake. Trying to ride a very steep hill in a far too large a gear and pulling a muscle in the back of my leg. A stupid mistake.What was I trying to do? Nonetheless I had a strong ride.The peleton split into two and I managed to get myself into the 1st group. I managed a top 15 finish.

The next race was quite local near Ruffec. Had my usual problem of wasting too much energy. I worked too hard for everyone else. I have got to let other riders cover the attacks as opposed to trying to do it myself. I had this problem last year. Got to calm down. It was a very hard race and the wind was impossible. In fact many riders packed. I came 12th. One of my teammates came 5th and he thanked me afterwards for all the work I had done. Next time he can return the favour and work for me.

The Peleton Mafia operated at the race at St Maixent. The 1st and 2nd cats set off together and the peleton was controlled by the 1st cats. So much so that they let a breakaway of second cats get away on the 1st lap and then just stopped. I moved to try and bridge the gap but no one came with me. Mistake. I should just have not bothered.

Instead I rode at least half a lap "chasing potatoes" as they say here in France. I wasted energy. Also once I was caught I made similar mistakes as I had done the week before. In the end I had nothing left and was dropped on the second to last lap. I was still quite happy. I did not pack and on occasions had 1st cat riders getting on my wheel to get back into the peleton.

My 5th race. Yes I made some mistakes in the sprint at the end. However I had decided before the race that I was not going to do anything. I was going to let everyone else do the work. As it happens the 1st and 2nds set of together again. It was a flattish race and the pace was so high it was impossible to try anything. In fact for most of the race I was somewhere towards the back of the peleton. On the last lap I got myself up to the front . I came round the final bend in 3rd.

There was then a long false flat and then a straight flat out sprint to the end.There was a little argy bargy on the climb when someone deliberately tried to put me off the road when one of his teammates attacked.A bit extreme if you ask me and i told him so in my very best English!!! God I wish I had started racing years ago . I probably made a dozen mistakes in the last 2 kms. But I managed a 5th place. The 1st 5 get on the podium. I have now broken my duck and have 3 points towards my goal of going up to cat 1.

What I learnt from this last race is that doing the things that I keep telling myself to do before each race - i.e as little as possible - can actually work. I have got to save energy at all costs.I know I am a strong rider. I have just got to ride sensibly.

Well that is enough from me for now. Remember you can follow me on facebook by becoming a fan of ‘The English Cyclist In France’ or just join the facebook group ‘Help me Win in France’. I can also be found on Twitter @cyclistinfrance, where you're more than welcome to chat to me about all things cycling.

8 comments:

  1. You are doing well cant wait to see you race on 30th
    bonne chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. a cyclist in france2 May 2010 at 19:36

    I wonder who said that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on your podium place. Earlier than last season so it can only get better & I'm sure there'll be plenty more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chasing potatoes what a fabulous turn of phrase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting read. Look forward to the next one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to our visit to the Charente on 30 May to watch you race. Is it near Cognac ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you're beginning to stick to your race plan a little more. Good luck for the next one. Simon

    ReplyDelete