Tuesday 29 June 2010

A Cyclist In France: A Big Scary Nurse

It's been a while but here's our latest update from our cyclist in France. Andy Phillips's blog posts have been a popular addition to our blog and will continue to do so on Sport Trades Pulse.

For those of you who are new to Andy and our blog, Mr Phillips is a Cat 2 cyclist whose progess we follow. So far on the blog we've heard how Andy got into cycling, his training methods and the start to his season which so far has been a mixed one. So what's next?

Andrew: Well I had some goals that I wanted to achieve this season. One of which was to get a podium position at the Charente Departmental Championships. This is a tough one as in my age category there are a number of first cats so it was always going to be difficult. The race was at a place called Reparsac on the 30th May.

I did quite well and was coping with the pace. Unfortunately it was a wet day and on the 3rd lap I crashed and skidded down the road. I got back on my bike and did another lap but I had a badly sprained wrist and a bad dose of road rash, and had to give up. Interestingly enough a couple of laps later there was a big crash at exactly the same place so perhaps there was something on the road.

The nurse was interesting to say the least! (see photo). Bit scary if you ask me. It was quite disappointing as my parents were over and had come to watch the race. They came last year to watch me at a place called Villefagnan.

Unfortunately at that race someone had a heart attack and the race was abandoned. So my parents have been over twice and have not seen me finish a race yet.

The crash at Reparsac sums up the last couple of months really. I have had some top 10 finishes and at times I have felt very strong. I am still making mistakes and some big ones. For example at Londigny, a race which could have had my name on it, I almost rode straight into a field.

My chain had come off for some reason and in chasing the peloton down, which I think I was doing quite well, I did not see an ‘S’ bend in the road. I was just watching the riders in front of me. Has anybody else ever done anything so stupid? I always cycle the circuit before the race but on this particular occasion I did not. I had driven it in the car a few days before but I forgot the ‘S’ bend.

One of my main gripes over the last couple of months has been the fact that quite often the 1st and 2nd cat’s race at the same time. The only difference being that the 1st cats do an additional lap to us.

This happened in the race yesterday at Prignac. The turnout was good. A lot of riders from all categories. I thought because of the number of riders that each category would have its own race. But no. At the start line when they announced that the 1st and 2nds would go off together my heart sank. I have never seen so many 1st cats before.

The pace was set by the 1st cats. It was a long flat circuit and some of the roads were quite narrow. There were attacks going on all the time and 5 second cats managed to get away with some 1st cats. Race over! Total confusion!

I stayed with the peloton and was strong at the end and finished 1st in the bunch sprint. So 6th overall. I was pleased with my performance and in some ways it was the best race I have done for a while.

But it is not fair that 5 guys were possibly pulled along by some 1st cats. It’s funny because at the race in Touvre a couple of weeks ago the 1st and 2nds set off separately and the 2nd cat peloton was lapped by some 1st cats. We had to let them go and would have been disqualified if anyone had been pulled along by them. SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Well enough of my moaning. Summer has arrived. The races are getting hotter. I think I ride quite well in the heat. I suffer. But there are riders who suffer more than me so bring it on. I have also had a good month of training. My friend Christian who is largely to blame for me cycling has started racing again and I have done some good training rides with him.

I would also, at this stage, like to thank Tony who helps to keep me on the road. Again after the crash at Reparsac he stepped in and did the necessary to get my bike and gears working. I would also like wish Paul a speedy recovery after another nasty crash. Hope to see you back on your bike soon.

Right that is it from me at this stage. Remember you can follow me on facebook by becoming a fan of ‘The English Cyclist In France’ or just join the facebook group ‘Help me Win in France’. I can also be found on Twitter @cyclistinfrance, where you're more than welcome to chat to me about all things cycling.

1 comment:

  1. If you'd known what the nurse was like you'd have been more careful on that bend!

    ReplyDelete